Problems with our plumbing fixtures can turn into problems with pests in a heartbeat. When water leaks from your pipes into your cabinets or walls, it can dampen the wood and cause pools of standing water, leading to an inviting environment for all sorts of pests that live in Des Moines IA. Failing to check up on your plumbing fixtures can lead to pest infestations that expand much quicker than you would expect. To avoid pest outbreaks caused by leaks in your home, read on for the Springer Professional Home Services technicians’ best advice.
Pests that Like Leaky Pipes
Leaky pipes in Des Moines can attract a whole host of pests, but these three are the most important to watch out for:
- Ants: If you experience a leak in one of your plumbing fixtures during the summer, it will be hard to avoid ants discovering it. When the heat of summer starts to dehydrate them, ants look for a cool, damp place to live.
- Cockroaches: Although cockroaches are some of the most hard-nosed pests in [city], they have to have consistent access to a water source in order to thrive. Paired with the hospitable hiding place that a dark cupboard or crawl space provides, roaches will find refuge wherever there is a leak in your home.
- Termites: Termites will add on to the preexisting wood rot that they find, boring through our homes’ wooden structures adjacent to their newfound water sources. If you find water damage from a leak in your home, keep a close watch for termite activity.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
How to Avoid Pest Infestations around Leaky Pipes
When you find a leaky pipe inside your house, you have to address it right away. Here’s how to avoid leakage-based pest problems:
- Seal the cracks that you’ve identified with a silicone-based caulk. This is the most effective strategy for DIY leak sealing.
- Try to keep any areas seeing leakage as well-ventilated as you can. This will keep moisture from continuing to build up.
- Talk to your local pest control company. After an initial inspection, they will be able to help you put pest prevention products in place.
Preventing Pest Issues in Des Moines IA
When your leaky pipes lead to loads of pests, you can trust your local pest control company to get rid of them for you. No matter what kind of pests are present, our technicians at Springer Professional Home Services are able to assess your outbreak, identify the root cause, and determine the best steps to take moving forward. To learn more about our services or for a free estimate on pest control, contact us today!