Here in Des Moines, we are accustomed to pest problems in the fall months. As the weather begins to get cooler, pests begin to make preparations for the cold months ahead. Rodents, spiders, stink bugs and boxelder bugs are a few pests that will invade homes this time of year. Unfortunately, they are likely looking to make their way indoors. Besides simply being a nuisance, pests in your home can be dangerous. To stop pests from hunkering down with you this season, the team at Springer has provided a list of eight ways to pest-proof your home. Keep reading to learn more!
8 Tips to Pest-Proof Your Home This Fall and Winter
Pest-proofing your home is the key to keeping pests and insects outside where they belong. This means sealing your home off against insects and rodents. Our top tips and tricks include:
- Seal any cracks or crevices using caulk and steel wool on the perimeter of your property. Pay special attention to areas where utility pipes enter.
- Clean your home on a regular basis. Wipe down your kitchen counters, store food in sealed containers, and use a trash can with a tight-fitting lid. Crumbs and accessible garbage will draw pests of all types.
- Ensure your basements, attics, and crawl spaces are well ventilated and dry. Pests and insects love moisture. Consider using a dehumidifier in moisture-filled areas.
- Store all firewood at least 20 feet away from your home and keep your yard clean and tidy. Trim back trees and shrubs that are too close to the home.
- Thoroughly inspect items before bringing them indoors. This includes boxes of your seasonal decorations, grocery bags, package deliveries, and more. The last thing you want is to carry pests inside.
- Promptly pick up your pets’ food dishes after they’re done eating. Pet food left out on the floor, in the garage, or even outdoors is an easy target for insects and rodents alike.
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens. Torn window screens and cracks under doors are an ideal entry point for household pests. Opening a window without a screen is a sure way to invite the pests right in.
- Make sure your drainage system is functioning properly. Install gutters or repair your existing system to help draw water away from the home. Quickly fix or replace any leaky pipes contributing to moisture issues inside.
Fall Pest Control in Des Moines
With the weather changing here in Iowa, it’s time to get your property ready for the cold months ahead. The last thing you want is to have pests inside with you in the coming months, which is why it’s crucial to pest-proof. Contact our Springer exterminators today to learn more!
Have a pest problem? We can help!
How to Pest-Proof Your Home This Fall in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989