Seeing a roach scurry across your kitchen floor is one of the worst feelings for a homeowner. You’re left wondering what you did to allow them in, and even more concerning, how many more of them are hidden out of sight. You need to get rid of them fast and make sure they don’t come back.
Luckily, Springer Professional Home Services can help you with that. We took the advice of our cockroach control experts to put together a guide to what roaches like and how to keep them away. Read on to learn more about what attracts cockroaches to your home!
What Are Roaches Attracted To?
Cockroaches are simple creatures that will stop at nothing to get what they want. There are three main things that cockroaches are attracted to, and you will find that they are quite universal:
- Food: Like every living thing, cockroaches need a source of nutrients to survive. Unfortunately for us, this category stretches wide across the possibilities of what can be considered “food”—cockroaches are equally happy whether they’re feasting on a nice meal that you left out too long or eating out of your trash.
- Water: Roaches are attracted to dark, damp areas that you might often find other pests in. Standing water from spills, leaky pipes, or buildup in the yard can become cockroach breeding grounds.
- Shelter: Because roaches are nocturnal, they need to find a safe place to hide during the day. They could make use of piles of yard waste, untrimmed trees and bushes, undisturbed cabinets, crawl spaces, and crevices, and much more.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
How To Prevent Cockroaches in Des Moines IA
The main principle to keep in mind when it comes to preventing cockroaches in the home is that neatness goes a long way. This accounts for keeping your house clean and free of spills and crumbs from your meals as well as removing sources of clutter or buildup of personal items.
You should also routinely inspect your home for vulnerabilities that could lead to cockroaches in places you wouldn’t normally visit. This includes:
- Checking for moisture in crawl spaces
- Fixing any leaks in your plumbing fixtures
- Pruning your plants more often
- Looking for small cracks or holes in your siding, walls, doors, and windows
Professional Help with Cockroach Control
Taking all of this advice should reduce the amount of cockroaches in your home. However, sometimes there are places around your home being taken advantage of that are very difficult to find without experience preventing roaches. This is where the experts at Springer Professional Home Services come in. We have over three decades of experience keeping roaches out of homes in Des Moines IA and will help you to better prevent outbreaks going forward. Contact us today for a free quote on roach control!
What Attracts Cockroaches to Your Home? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989