Here in Central Iowa, sometimes it seems that summer doesn’t quite stick around for long enough. Each year, as temperatures drop into a chilly winter, many kinds of pests seek refuge from the cold in our homes. Two of the most notable of these are the Asian lady beetle and the boxelder bug. If you don’t take the right precautions, these bugs can become quite a nuisance. You can trust the experts at Springer Professional Home Services to teach you how to avoid them in your home or to help you get rid of them once they’ve gotten out of hand!
All About Asian Lady Beetles and Boxelder Bugs
Asian lady beetles are commonly confused with ladybugs but are a different species altogether. Here are some features to look out for to be sure you’re dealing with Asian lady beetles:
- Their color ranges from yellow to orange, to red, and they have an “M”-shaped mark on the back of their heads
- They release a smelly, yellow substance when they are threatened or squished
- You are more likely to find them indoors in the winter than ladybugs or many other pests
Boxelder bugs look quite different but cause the same amount of annoyance in Central Iowa homes. Here’s what to know:
- Boxelder bugs have primarily black bodies with geometric red lines across their backs
- They are often found around boxelder trees, as well as maple, ash, and fruit trees
- Their feces leaves stains inside our homes
Have a pest problem? We can help!
How to Prevent Asian Lady Beetles and Boxelder Bugs
Both of these insects are opportunistic pests. No crevice in your home goes unexplored come wintertime. Here is a list of ways to prevent boxelder bugs and Asian lady beetles from entering your home this year:
- Inspect your entire property for even the tiniest points of entry into your house
- Make sure that the caulk around your molding is intact—seal any cracks on roofing and siding
- Put screens on doors and windows or check for tears on existing screens
- Keep your yard tidy and your plants trimmed
Taking all of these steps will reduce your chances of an infestation in your home and the chance of these pests populating your yard in the first place.
Pest Prevention Services in Des Moines IA
Whether you want to get a head start on preventing boxelder bugs and Asian lady beetles this year or they’ve already taken over your home, Springer Professional Home Services can help. We have been serving businesses and homeowners in Central Iowa since 1989, developing the best pest management systems and technicians in the region. Don’t let Asian lady beetles or boxelder bugs in this year—contact us today for a free quote!