Boxelder bugs. You may recognize these pests by their offensive odor they emit when disturbed or squished. Sometimes referred to as box beetles, they are about half an inch long with black and red coloring. While they are not actually beetles, they are a nuisance.
What Can Boxelder Bugs Do?
They mainly feed on Boxelder trees which are found throughout Iowa, but boxelder bugs will also feed on Ash trees, Maple trees, and house plants. Here is what you need to know:
- Congregate in Large Numbers: Boxelder bugs can amass easily since their chemical defenses are highly successful at deterring predators like birds and they are not largely affected by any diseases or parasites. You will likely find them sunning themselves on trees, decorative landscaping, and the sunny sides of your home.
- Harmless to People: Boxelder bugs are not known to bite humans and are not a danger to your pets. While their defensive odor is highly unpleasant, it’s not poisonous.
- Seasonal Pests: They are attracted to warmth, coming out of hibernation in the spring and becoming a particular nuisance in summer.
- Get Inside Your Home: Boxelder bugs can feed on and damage beloved houseplants and their excrement stains light surfaces like carpets, upholstery, curtains, etc.
Preventing Boxelder Bugs from Getting In
Like any pest, boxelder bugs can make their way into your home. Use these prevention measures to keep them out:
- Seal Entry Points: They will find their way into your home, quickly nesting in your walls and behind siding during the fall for winter hibernation. Use of heating during winter can trick a boxelder bug hibernating in your walls into thinking it’s spring, and they will come out of hibernation to invade your living spaces.
- Repair Screens: Any rips or tears in window and door screens should be repaired to prevent these pests from getting inside.
- Sweeping Away: Luckily, boxelder bugs are not dangerous and can be easily removed if they are inside your home. Simply sweep them up and dispose of them immediately.
Expert Pest Solutions with Springer
With Springer Home Professional Services, we are passionate about effective and eco-friendly pest control and are committed to the values of service, professionalism, and integrity. For over 30 years we have been dedicated to being industry leaders in environmentally conscious pest solutions, utilizing Integrated Pest Management (IPM), an eco-based strategy for long-term pest prevention. In addition, we proudly partner with the world’s largest pest control company, Rentokil, which has a target goal of net zero carbon emissions by 2040.
Our QualityPro certification ensures that all employees are continually kept up to date with the latest, most effective, techniques in the industry, so you can trust that you’re in the best possible hands. Our team of professionals will partner with you to come up with a specialized service plan that is tailored to your needs. If you are currently experiencing a Boxelder Bug invasion or would like to get ahead of it with prevention measures, contact the beetle exterminators at Springer today and let us work with you to keep your home and property free of Boxelder Bugs.
Are Boxelder Bugs Dangerous in Des Moines? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989