Did you know that a single bed bug can lay up to 12 eggs a day, and up to 500 throughout its lifetime? Needless to say, bed bugs can spread quickly once established. Even worse, bed bugs often aren’t discovered until you start to notice their bites on your skin. Bed bugs are slow crawlers, which is why they usually travel by hitching a ride on your bags, clothes, luggage, furniture, and more. To stop bed bugs from spreading in your Iowa home or business, it’s important to learn how to keep yourself safe from their activity in the first place. The bed bug experts at Springer Professional Home Services are here to help you learn how.
5 Ways to Stop Bed Bugs From Spreading
To stop bed bugs from spreading in your home, you need to learn how to keep them out in the first place. Here’s how:
- Always be wary of purchasing second-hand furniture unless you’ve inspected it thoroughly for bed bugs.
- Buy protective covers for all of the mattresses and box springs in your home.
- When traveling, use hard shell suitcases and thoroughly inspect your hotel room for bed bugs. Always store luggage up off the ground.
- When arriving home from traveling, steam clean your suitcase and wash all clothing before storing everything away.
- If you utilize shared laundry facilities or a laundromat, seal your clothes in a plastic bag to and from the facility, and always fold your clothes at home.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
How Do Bed Bugs Get Into My Room?
Bed bugs most commonly are spread when infested items are moved from one area to another. Typically, this happens when infested furniture or items are moved from one room to another. The spread of bed bugs can also be traced back to travelers and college kids bringing home infested suitcases. Many people believe that people can spread bed bugs, but bed bugs do not latch onto their hosts in the same manner that fleas and ticks do.
Bed Bugs Spreading in Your Iowa Home?
If you’ve done all you can to keep bed bugs from spreading in your home but are still noticing the signs of their activity, it’s time to call in the professionals. At Springer Professional Home Services, we can work to not only get rid of bed bugs in your property, but keep them out for good!
How Bed Bugs Spread in Iowa in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989