How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Iowa?
For immediate protection against termites, builders can work with a professional pest control company to implement termite prevention in the building phase. One of the best ways to prevent termites is to treat the lumber and use termite-resistant materials when building new properties.
To prevent termites when building a new building, it’s best to apply treatment before, during, and after the property is built. This includes working with a professional pest control company to ensure a new home is protected from termites.
Preventing Termites While Building a Home
Treating both the lumber and the soil before building a new property in Iowa can help reduce the risk of termites. Some of the most common methods builders and pest technicians use to prevent termites in new builds are as follows.
- Treating the soil to form a chemical barrier.
- Using pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Limiting or eliminating wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensuring the home will receive proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
- Building the home with proper drainage, which is best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, keeping wood above the ground to avoid contact with soil.
- Using a galvanized steel or concrete barrier in the build, which can help block entry points.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Are New Homes Prone to Termites?
Regardless of weather prevention methods are implemented when building a new home, it’s important to implement ongoing prevention services with a professional pest control company. This includes eliminating excess moisture, fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or rotten sources of wood, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground.
The best thing you can do to keep termites out of your new home is to work with a professional termite exterminator such as Springer Professional Home Services.
How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Iowa? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989