What Does a Termite Look Like?
Different termite species and termite castes have unique appearances. That said, termites generally share some common characteristics that help to set them apart from other insects. These shared characteristics include:
- Termites range from ¼ – ½ inch in length.
- Termites range in color from off-white to dark brown.
- Every termite has a body that is divided into three segments: the head, thorax, and abdomen.
- Termites have soft, straight bodies and straight antennae.
- Reproductive or swarmer termites possess wings that are the same length.
What Do Termite Species Look Like?
Different termite species vary in appearance, just as different termite castes vary in appearance. For example, dampwood termites are oftentimes larger than other species. Drywood termites can range in color from yellow to brown, and reproductives have wings that are transparent. Eastern subterranean termites can be a variety of colors, from off-white to dark brown, depending on their caste. An expert termite exterminator is the key to helping identify a termite by what they look like.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Termite Appearance By Caste
A termite caste is a group of termites that performs a specific role within the colony. Termite colonies typically have four castes, and the termites within the groups can all look a little different. Some of their unique characteristics are as follows.
- Reproductives/Alates/Swarmers. Often confused as flying ants, swarmers have wings that allow them to fly and are eventually shed.
- Soldiers. Often confused for ants, soldier termites have large, dark heads with powerful mandibles.
- Workers. These make up the majority of a colony and have an off-white to creamy colored appearance.
- Queens. The queen termite has a large, translucent egg-producing chamber on its body and can grow to the size of a human finger.
Is It Easy to Identify Termites?
Unless you spot swarmer termites, it is rare to see termites in your home. This is because they are often within the very structure of your home! A professional pest control expert such as Springer can help identify what type of termite you are dealing with by looking not just at the pests themselves, but at the signs of their activity.
What Does a Termite Look Like? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989