How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally?
You’ve likely heard dozens of tips and tricks to keep mosquitoes away naturally. But which natural mosquito repellents actually work? The best ways to naturally avoid mosquito problems are to:
- Eliminate standing water on or near your property.
- Install fans in your outdoor area.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants in light colors.
- Try essential oils, including lemon eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint.
How to Naturally Repel Mosquitoes
The easiest way to keep mosquitoes away naturally is to limit the things in your outdoor area that would attract them. First, it’s crucial to get rid of all sources of standing water. This most often collects in birdbaths, pools, children’s playsets, buckets, and more. Make sure to tip over or cover standing water regularly. In addition, mosquitoes are weak fliers and thus hate windy environments. Turning on a fan when you are in your backyard is a great way to repel mosquitoes naturally.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
DIY Mosquito Repellents
Essential oils tout a long list of benefits, but do they work as a natural mosquito repellent? It’s always important to dilute essential oils with carrier oils, and to perform a skin patch test to ensure no reactions are had. Here’s what we know about the following mosquito home remedies:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil. Both the CDC and the EPA have classified lemon eucalyptus as a mosquito repellent. It’s important to note that it has not been approved on kids younger than three years old.
- Peppermint oil. When mixed with a carrier oil (such as olive or canola), peppermint is a fragrant oil that can possibly keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Catnip oil: Derived from catnip with steam distillation, catnip oil is EPA-approved and said to provide up to seven hours of protection against mosquitoes.
- Lavender oil: As another very fragrant oil, studies have shown that lavender is effective at repelling adult mosquitoes and bites.
Does Vitamin B or Coconut Oil Keep Mosquitoes Away?
Some have suggested that taking vitamin B will repel mosquitoes over time, but research and studies have found that it does not have an effect on mosquitoes. Similar studies have been conducted on the effectiveness of coconut oil. While not found to be effective on its own, topical applications of coconut oil on the skin combined with essential oils could help to repel mosquitoes. No matter what, always speak with your doctor before attempting to use any homemade mosquito repellents.
How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989