Knowing what attracts cockroaches is the key to keeping them out of your residential or commercial property. Once you have an infestation, it can be overwhelming; cockroaches are filthy, can contaminate food, and can survive on bare resources to survive. Even worse, they can cause allergies in humans and are difficult to control.
It can be distressing to discover that you have a cockroach infestation, which is why it’s important to know why they made their way into your home in the first place.
Understanding cockroach behaviors
If you’ve found yourself with a cockroach infestation, you’re probably wondering how they invaded your home in the first place. Some of the common behaviors of cockroaches include:
- Roaches are infamous for being able to survive on just about anything. They will eat food, garbage, wallpaper paste, paper, bookbinding materials, and other organic materials.
- Once they get into your home, a messy environment will encourage them to stay and spread.
- Cockroaches are mainly nocturnal, which is why they scatter and scuttle toward dark corners when you turn on a light. They prefer dark, moist environments.
- They also gravitate toward small nooks and crannies. They’ll hide under the sink, in the walls, and within cracks in the floor, too.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
Preventing cockroach infestations
Food, shelter, and water are the three main things any pest needs to survive. To effectively keep roaches from your home, it’s important to limit their sources of survival inside your home. The following tips will help keep cockroaches out of your home:
- Always keep food securely stored and sealed in airtight containers.
- Never leave pet food out overnight and keep it stored tightly.
- Take out your trash often and use a lid on the can.
- Promptly wash dishes after mealtimes.
- Wipe down counters, especially after spills
- Try not to leave out piles of junk or clutter inside and outside.
- Seal cracks or crevices around pipes in your home’s exterior.
How to keep cockroaches away
At Springer Professional Home Services, we believe in stopping pest problems before they begin. Cockroaches are infamously difficult to deal with, and we know how frustrating it can be to realize you have an infestation. That’s why we believe so strongly in our IPM approach that works to prevent cockroaches in your property year-round. For more information or to schedule a visit from us, call us today!
What Cockroaches Are Attracted To in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989