Here in Des Moines, ants are a problem for residents all year long. However, they seem to be especially troublesome in the summertime as they enter homes in search of food and shelter. As the number one nuisance pest in the United States, it’s very important to learn about preventing summer ant infestations. Once they get inside your property, they can spread easily. It’s very hard to get rid of an ant problem, making it all the more crucial to do what you can to keep them outdoors in the first place.
Summer Ants in Central Iowa
Although these ants are active at various points throughout the year, they are especially active in the summer months. With more than 700 species of ants nationwide, it can be easy to misidentify the type of ant you’re dealing with. Thankfully, there are only a few you are likely to encounter in our area, including carpenter ants, odorous house ants, and pavement ants. In any case, it’s best to contact a professional pest control company when you need help identifying ants.
6 Steps to Preventing Summer Ant Infestations
A single ant colony in your property during the summer can turn into multiple colonies in little time. To avoid the frustration altogether, there are several things you can do to make your home less hospitable to ants:
- Keep a clean home. Sweep your floors regularly to get rid of crumbs. Ants are attracted to sugary food sources and a few crumbs will keep them coming back for more.
- Store food properly. Avoid leaving food out uncovered. Keep food in airtight containers or store them safely in cupboards and fridges.
- Seal entry points. Ants can crawl through the tiniest of cracks. Inspect your property and use caulk to seal any gaps, holes, or potential entry ways.
- Avoid excess moisture. Areas with standing water or leaks will attract ants quickly. Attend to broken pipes and clean up spills quickly.
- Trim back trees and vegetation. Plants close to your home can encourage ants to come in. Make sure tree branches, shrubs, and bushes are trimmed away from the perimeter!
- Pick up your pet’s food. Crumbs and spills from your cat or dog’s food and water bowls can be a huge attractant for ants. Always clean up and store bowls between mealtimes.
Ant Prevention in Des Moines
No one has time to deal with ant problems. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to prevent them! If you need help preventing summer ant infestations, Springer Professional Home Services is here for you. Our team has the experience needed to control ants and make sure you never have to deal with them again!
Preventing Summer Ant Infestations in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989