Serving Des Moines | Cedar Rapids | Davenport
Seeing bees, wasps, and hornets outside is no cause for concern. These insects actually play an important role in pollinating some of the fruits and grains we consume, and typically aren’t harmful to humans. That said, when a nest begins to form in an area where humans frequent, it’s time to call a professional pest control company.
Nest removal should always be handled by an expert, especially because some individuals are allergic to bee or wasp stings. Springer Professional Home Services is committed to keeping you and your family safe from bees, wasps, and hornets with our reliable nest removal services.
Wasp vs. hornet nests
When it comes to stinging insects, it can be hard to know what species you are dealing with—and you probably don’t want to get too close to observe! Many people confuse bees for wasps and wasps for hornets, which can be dangerous considering some pose more of a threat than others. An easy way to identify the differences between these insects is by taking a look at their nests:
- Paper wasp nests: Paper wasps construct open, exposed nests that most often resemble upside-down umbrellas.
- Yellow jacket nests: Yellow jackets build nests that are covered in a papery substance and are often found within wall voids or cavities in the ground.
- Bald faced hornets: This species also builds papery-covered nests that can be located in natural cavities like tree stumps or cavities within buildings.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
The dangers of DIY bee control
If you notice a small nest near your property, you may be tempted to spray or knock it down yourself. It’s important to know the risks of trying to control bees, wasps, and hornets on your own:
- If you are allergic to stinging insects of any kind, do not attempt to remove bees or wasps yourself.
- Any nest that is bigger than the size of your fist needs to be handled by a professional.
- If you are still going to attempt taking care of the nest yourself, remember to never spray inside of your building. Additionally, make sure to spray at night or early in the morning when wasps and bees are least active.
- Wasps & hornets are unpredictable, and some species can be very aggressive. If you don’t know the species you’re dealing with, don’t take any chances and call a professional.
Using a hornet and wasp exterminator
Bottom line: it can be hard to tell how serious your wasp or hornet problem is without the trained eye of a professional. When in doubt, call the experts at Springer for help with nest removal. We can ensure the nest is properly and safely removed from your property as well as take preventative measures to prevent future nests from forming. Call us today to learn more!Back to Bees, Wasps, & Hornets Exterminators – Control – Removal
When to Call a Hornet and Wasp Exterminator in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989