Serving Des Moines | Cedar Rapids | Davenport
As much as you may hate to admit it, spiders are everywhere both indoors and out. Thankfully, most are completely harmless and actually are considered to be beneficial members of the environment by controlling other insect populations. Nonetheless, no one wants hoards of spiders invading their space, especially if they’re one of the more dangerous species.
To keep spiders away from your home, there are a number of things you can do to prevent them year-round.
What are spiders attracted to?
Just like any other pest, spiders will enter a home in search of food and shelter. The main things spiders look for in your home include:
- Food: Spiders will prey on other insects that may be in your home. It’s often a chain effect: If you leave out food, insects arrive to feed on that food, and spiders eventually make their way indoors to feed on those insects!
- Debris or clutter: If you have piles of clothes, garbage, or debris scattered around, you may unknowingly be creating multiple hiding spots for spiders.
- Warmth: During the colder months, spiders will make their way inside to seek out warm, dark areas to build webs.
Ways you can prevent spiders
The best way to control spiders is to prevent them from becoming a problem in the first place. Several ways you can effectively lessen the risk of getting spiders in your home include:
- To avoid bringing spiders inside, make sure to inspect any boxes or pieces of furniture for egg sacs or live spiders before moving them indoors.
- Locate and seal any potential entry points around your foundation, walls, or windows to stop spiders from getting inside.
- Keep a clean, tidy home to prevent insects that spiders prey on.
- To monitor activity, place sticky traps in specific rooms to determine which areas have the most house spider activity.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Preventing spiders in your home
If you’ve done all you can to prevent spiders inside your home, it’s best to call an expert. Whether you are dealing with a large population or are concerned that you may have dangerous spiders nearby, a professional pest control company can help inspect your property to find the source of the problem. Springer Professional Home Services is proud to use our IPM methods that focus on preventing spiders before they infest your home. Give us a call to learn more!Back to Spider Exterminators – Spider Removal & Control
Spider Prevention Tips in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989