Do Mosquitoes Bite?
Mosquitoes are widely known for their bites. Female mosquitoes pierce through our skin with their proboscis to draw blood. Dogs, cats, other small animals, and certain birds are also susceptible to mosquito bites. These bites can cause painful bumps and rashes on the skin.
More infamously, mosquito bites are known to transmit many dangerous diseases worldwide. Fortunately for us, mosquito-borne illnesses in Iowa are rare. Either way, everyone would rather not deal with a mosquito bite.
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Us?
Female mosquitoes bite in order to take nutrients from our blood. The nutrients they obtain by drawing blood are necessary for the development of their eggs. While we refer to this activity as “biting”, the female mosquito is actually piercing your skin with her needle-like proboscis. This instrument contains two tubes, one of which injects saliva, the other of which sucks up the blood.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
What Mosquito Bite Symptoms Look Like in Iowa
You’ll most often find mosquito bites where you have exposed skin. The mosquito bite symptoms typically play out like this:
- Itchy, pinkish-red bumps will form shortly after the mosquito pierces the skin.
- Over the next couple of days, these bumps can darken in color.
- The mosquito bite bump is small, often less than ½ inch across.
- Itchiness is the most common mosquito bite symptom. Scratching the bites worsens the symptoms and can cause rashes or bruising.
- In serious cases, fever, nausea, headaches, and fatigue can be signs of a problem. Always talk to a medical professional when you feel these symptoms.
Will Mosquitoes Bite Our Pets?
Mosquitoes can and will bite your pets, including dogs, cats, and more. Cats are less likely to be targeted due to their thick coat of hair, but they can be bitten on their nose and ears. Dogs are often bitten by mosquitoes. In addition to making your pets itchy and uncomfortable, mosquitoes can pass on diseases to animals just as easily as they can to humans.
Do Mosquitoes Bite? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989