Misting and barrier systems are the two main types of mosquito repellents used by professional pest control companies. It can be difficult to know which one is best for your property, which is where a professional pest control company can help.
In general, barrier treatments are preferred because they are safer, more effective, and last longer. Still, it’s important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of these two mosquito treatment options.
Differences between mosquito misting and barrier systems
Misting and barrier treatments are both known to be effective in controlling mosquitoes, but how do they hold up against each other?
- Coverage: While a misting treatment only works around the immediate location of the spray, a barrier system can treat an entire yard.
- Effectiveness: Barrier treatments last for up two two months, depending on the level of treatment. Misting, on the other hand, provides short-term relief and needs to be replaced periodically.
- Mosquito control: Misting works to kill active adult mosquitoes within the range of the spray, but will not affect mosquitoes outside the range. Barrier systems not only kill active adults, but also prevent future ones as well.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
The disadvantages of misting treatments for mosquitoes
There are a number of concerns associated with misting treatments:
- Misting uses pesticides in and around the home, which can be potentially hazardous or toxic.
- The system isn’t accurate when spraying into the infested areas, meaning some chemicals are wasted.
- Misting isn’t guaranteed to kill off all mosquitoes within an area.
- Lastly, this treatment is not consistent with IPM principles, which is why it’s not the preferred method of treatment.
How to choose the best mosquito treatment for you
As you can probably guess, barrier systems are trusted to work better at controlling mosquito populations. They are safer, cost less, and are significantly more eco-friendly than misting systems. No matter what, it’s important to consult a professional pest control company when you’re looking to prevent mosquitoes. Call the experts at Springer Professional Home Services today to learn about our mosquito control methods!Back to Mosquito Exterminators – Control – Removal
Mosquito Repellents: Mist vs. Barrier Systems in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989