Mosquito season is no joke: as soon as temperatures get warm enough, hordes of mosquitoes seem to appear out of nowhere! These pests are more than just a nuisance—their bites can cause itchiness and redness. In serious cases, they’re known to carry several dangerous diseases, including Zika, dengue fever, malaria, and more.
For this reason alone, it’s absolutely essential to know how to prepare your property for the onslaught of mosquitoes every summer.
When are mosquitoes most active?
For the most part, mosquito season occurs during the summer when temperatures are up. That said, they’re able to breed and thrive as soon as temperatures rise, making them potentially active during the spring and fall as well. The best time to implement preventative measures against mosquitoes is in the winter when temperatures are colder and populations of mosquitoes are at their lowest. This can help you be prepared for mosquitoes as soon as temperatures rise!
Protecting your property before mosquito season
The best way to eliminate a potential mosquito problem before it begins is to inspect your home’s exterior.
- Remove areas that hold standing water.
- Be wary of leaving out containers that could hold water after rain.
- Buckets, folded tarps, pet food bowls, and birdbaths are the usual suspects for mosquito breeding grounds.
- If you have ponds in your landscape, consider putting in frogs or fish, both of which love eating mosquitoes.
- Check the eaves, roof gutters, and plastic drain pipes in your home.
- Remove any leaves and twigs that may clog them up and cause water to collect.
- Install tight-fitting screens all over the doors and windows of your house.
- Regularly repair screens that are loose or broken to keep mosquitoes outside during the summer.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
Mosquito prevention services
At Springer, we know dealing with mosquitoes can be frustrating and overwhelming. If you are hoping to prevent mosquitoes from becoming an issue in your yard this summer, the time for preventative services is now! To learn more about our mosquito control services or to set up an appointment today, give us a call.Back to Mosquito Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Prep Your House for Mosquito Season in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989