Whether it happened at an outdoor barbecue or on a camping trip, most people have been bitten by a mosquito at some point in their life. Mosquitoes can be infamously relentless when it comes to feeding.
Worst of all, their bites can cause itchiness, redness, and swelling. In serious cases, they can even transmit diseases. Because of that fact alone, it’s crucial to know not only how to protect yourself from being bitten but also how to treat a bite.
How to prevent mosquito bites
Being outdoors, especially in the summertime, puts you at risk for being bitten by mosquitoes. Some of the ways you can prevent them include:
- If possible, avoid going outdoors at dawn or dusk, which is when mosquitoes are most active and bites are most common.
- Cover your arms and legs with long-sleeved shirts, jackets, and long-legged pants. Treating the clothing with insect repellent will help as well.
- During extended time outdoors, apply insect repellent that contains at least 25 percent DEET. Use this as instructed by the manufacturer.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
How to treat a mosquito bite
Mosquito bites may not be painful at first, but can cause a number of mild to more serious symptoms. If you’ve been bitten by a mosquito, the following precautions should be taken during the healing process:
- Resist the overwhelming temptation to scratch. Scratching can make the histamine agitate your skin, resulting in even more irritation than before. Plus, the last thing you want to do is itch to the point where you break the skin and leave yourself open to infection.
- Always wash the bites in cold water and use soap to clean the area.
- Use anti-inflammatories, antihistamines, and over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream if the itching is never-ending.
- In the rare case you develop any unexpected symptoms or it appears you’re suffering from an infection, it’s important to receive medical attention for proper treatment.
Professional help for mosquito prevention
No one wants to deal with the threat of mosquitoes biting them every time they go outside, which is why it’s important to prevent these insects in the first place. At Springer Professional Home Services, we provide exceptional mosquito services that can help protect you and your family from mosquitoes. Call us to see how we can keep you mosquito-free!Back to Mosquito Exterminators – Control – Removal
Mosquito Bite Prevention and Treatment in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989