Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture?
Bed bugs can linger in a piece of furniture for a long time. Buying used furniture, then, can be hazardous. The good news is that you can prevent an infestation by thoroughly checking the furniture before bringing it indoors.
To avoid bed bugs in secondhand furniture, here’s what to do:
- Avoid buying upholstered used furniture.
- Inspect all items you buy.
- Always treat furniture before bringing it indoors.
Inspecting Used Furniture for Bed Bugs
If you’ve fallen in love with a vintage dresser or a used couch at your local secondhand store, there are a few things you should do before purchasing it:
- Look all over the piece for small black spots or even blood dots. This is a top indicator of bed bug activity, whether they’re active or not.
- Always check the undersides and cracks of tables, shelves, bed frames, and other furnishings for signs of bed bug activity.
- Look in furniture joints, seams, creases, crevices, cracks, voids, and more. They’ve even been known to hide in screw holes and more.
- If you see anything suspicious, don’t take the risk and avoid bringing the furniture into your home!
Do You Have a Bed Bug Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Likelihood of Bed Bugs in Used Furniture
Don’t worry—not every piece of used furniture is riddled with bed bugs. People all around the country buy second-hand furniture that is completely safe and bed bug-free. That said, many people will donate furniture from a past bed bug infestation. When buying used furniture, it’s simply best to thoroughly inspect the items before choosing to bring the pieces home with you.
Exterminating Bed Bugs in Used Furniture
As soon as you notice bed bugs in any piece of furniture, it’s important to let the seller or store owner know. While some may offer refunds, it’s up to the seller. If you’re wishing to salvage the piece of furniture even with bed bugs, consult your local bed bug exterminator to treat the piece first. In the meantime, avoid bringing the infested furniture inside to avoid starting an infestation.
Can I Prevent Bed Bugs When Purchasing Used Furniture? in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989