When you’re planning a trip, there are countless things you likely need to do to prepare. Your suitcase is packed, tickets are booked, and you’re ready to go—but what are you forgetting? One of the most common ways bed bugs spread is when travelers transfer them to and from hotels.
These biting insects are known to hitch a ride on suitcases, making it easy to introduce them into your home after returning home from a vacation. To avoid picking up these uninvited guests during a trip, continue reading to learn some of our expert tips on preventing bed bugs.
How to stay bed bug-free while traveling
- Keep bed bugs out of your suitcase
- Reduce the risk of picking up bed bugs by using a suitcase with a hard shell.
- Wrap all of your clothing and any other fabric items in plastic bags when packing.
- Research hotels before you book
- Read reviews to see if any customers mention bed bug problems, as the hotel won’t disclose this information.
- Thoroughly inspect your hotel room when you arrive
- Even if you’re staying in a reputable hotel, always inspect the room before settling in.
- Pull back the bed sheets, and look between the mattress and box spring for any signs of eggs, feces, or skin that has been shed.
- Store your luggage out of reach
- Keep your things out of the reach of bed bugs by using suitcase racks or store your luggage on top of dressers or other furniture.
- Take precautions when you return home
- Wash and dry all of your clothing in a hot water wash after your trip.
- Thoroughly vacuum or steam-clean your suitcase before you store it.
Need a pest control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Treating your home for bed bugs after a trip
Even if you’ve taken every precaution to avoid getting bed bugs while traveling, you’ve still managed to bring them home with you. What now? As soon as you notice bed bugs in your home, it’s time to call in a professional. Springer Professional Home Services has the decades of experience needed to thoroughly inspect and treat your home for bed bugs. Give us a call today to learn more!Back to Bed Bug Exterminators – Control – Removal
Prevent Bed Bugs While Traveling in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989