Seeing one cockroach in your home is an indicator that you likely have many more. Cockroach infestations are feared not only because they are filthy and can contaminate food, but because they are difficult to control.
The best way to control cockroaches is to prevent them from invading your property in the first place. Whether you want to keep cockroaches out of your home or business, knowing how to prevent them is the key.
Tips to keep cockroaches away
Just as with any pest, there are a number of preventative measures you can implement that may help lessen the risk of getting cockroaches in your property. The following tips can help keep roaches out of your property:
- Eliminate their access to food
- Cockroaches will eat a variety of foods if given the chance. They are attracted to fruits, vegetables, crumbs, garbage, and more.
- Keep food securely sealed and stored away, put a lid on trash cans, and don’t leave pet food sitting out.
- Keep a tidy, clean property
- After mealtimes, make sure to sweep, mop, or clean anything that has fallen onto the ground.
- Wash dishes promptly and wipe down your counters.
- Remove their hiding spots
- Clean up cluttered piles of newspapers and any other potential roach habitats.
- Get rid of any cardboard boxes or old grocery bags. Any warm, dark place is attractive to roaches.
- Apply treatments to deter roaches.
- Boric acid and roach traps help with getting rid of a cockroach infestation, but shouldn’t be used without the advice of a professional.
- Roaches are repelled by the acidity of coffee grounds, which are sometimes used as a DIY prevention method when spread around the foundation of your home.
Have a pest problem? We can help!
Professional help for preventing cockroaches
At Springer Professional Home Services, we know how frustrating cockroaches can be, especially if they’ve infested your property even after your attempts to prevent them. Once you have roaches, it can be difficult to get rid of them without the help of a trained eye. We use an Integrated Pest Management approach that focuses on keeping roaches out of your home or business for good. To learn more or to sign up for an inspection, call us today!
How to Keep Cockroaches Out of Your Home in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989