Bed bugs are one of the most dreaded pests for property owners. Not only do they bite, a bed bug infestation can damage your reputation. Bed bugs certainly incite a lot of fear, but are they as scary as the myths have made them out to be? An infestation can definitely cause psychological stress, but thankfully bed bugs aren’t as dangerous or destructive as other pests such as termites and rodents. Nonetheless, it’s important to learn the facts. The team at Springer Professional Home Services is here to uncover common bed bug myths–read on to learn more!
Dispelling Common Myths About Bed Bugs
With bed bugs being so feared, people tend to spread false information. Here are some of the main bed bug myths we hear about:
- Bed bugs are nocturnal.
- Bed bugs are active when their hosts are at rest. This obviously means they are active at night, but they can also adjust their schedule to fit yours.
- Bed bugs only infest bedrooms.
- Bed bugs gather near areas where people rest. This includes sofas, chairs, cracks in the wall, and even power outlets.
- Bed bugs are too small to see with the naked eye.
- Adult bed bugs are about the size of an appleseed and can definitely be seen. Nymph bed bugs are much smaller and translucent, making them more difficult to spot.
- Bed bugs jump and fly.
- Unlike fleas and ticks, bed bugs cannot jump or fly. They have underdeveloped wings, and move from one area to another by crawling.
- Bed bugs are attracted to messy or dirty homes.
- This is one of the most common myths about bed bugs. Whether your home is clean or dirty, a bed bug infestation can happen in any property.
- Bed bugs latch onto or travel on people.
- Although bed bugs are known to hitch a ride on your purse or suitcase, they do not attach to people as fleas or ticks do.
- Bed bugs transmit dangerous diseases.
- Bed bugs definitely bite, but they do not transmit diseases as mosquitoes do.
- Bed bugs can live a year without feeding.
- While they definitely can survive months without a meal, it is very unlikely for bed bugs to survive an entire year.
The Dangers of Bed Bugs
Bed bugs may not pose the same threat as some pest problems, but their infestations can be distressing and difficult to get rid of! The team at Springer has the experience needed to get rid of all bed bugs in your property. Whether you need a bed bug inspection or tips on preventing infestations, our team is here for you–contact us today!
Uncovering Common Bed Bug Myths in Des Moines
Serving Central Iowa since 1989